see above about my personal experience! overall, if I could do this trip all over again with the same host family in the same country with the same coordinator I would do it in a heart beat!! Best experience ever!
1) My coordinator and my host family and the hospital staff played a vital role in me having a great time in Peru. My host mother Ana Maria and her Boyfriend Dante provided me with information on what I should do and where I should go when I had free time. From restaurant recommendations to tour recommendations and teaching me Spanish, they made my stay unforgettable. My coordinator did her absolute best for me to get settled and never failed to reply to my constant emails and texts and for that I am so so so grateful.
2) For the program the only thing that surprised me was the fact that unless you asked what you could do, nobody really told you what to do or how you could help, so ask for taks and hang on the main nurse. The only surprising thing that I experienced with my host family was how quickly the line between host family and family disappeared and how quickly we got so close. The only surprising thing about Cusco was how HOT it can be in the morning/noon time.
3) Some challenging things that I experienced was how much I missed my family in the beginning and how uncomfortable the altitude was. there was nothing challenging with my host family! my host mother Ana Maria spoke english and so did her wonderful boyfriend, Dante! if anything they made my time in Peru very much less challenging!
4) my only tip for any volunteers coming would be, MAKE SURE YOUR US$ MONEY IS STRAIGHT AND WITHOUT ANY TEARS! and also pack proper hiking clothes! and bring cough drops if you’re afraid of catching a cold (it is expensive and not very accessible here) also bring extra make up and dry shampoo because that is also hard to find! if you want to donate anything to the clinic, donate gloves!
5) see above about my personal experience! overall, if I could do this trip all over again with the same host family in the same country with the same coordinator I would do it in a heart beat!! Best experience ever!
6) the meals that I was provided was different but amazing! the house was always equipped with everything I needed and after a very short while I really felt like it was my home!
7) program: there was a guy that due to his condition and his previous situation he had a gaping hole in his leg and we had to treat him with very little material but he always came back and I could personally see the progress! my favorite memory of my host family is literally every meal we’ve had together especially the ones after my roommate Damara came. My favorite memory of Cusco was the June 24th celebration and my other favorite memories include me going and exploring the country with the other volunteers I made friends with.
8) ABV US were very responsive and available. I don’t have any complaints!
9) the website was great and very direct and informative!