Volunteer Nepal: Staffs at dental hospital were so welcoming and kind. Bought us food and drinks, introduced us to many good food and phrases to interact with the patients. Did extractions, pulpectomy, fillings, etc. Great if I could have done more but sadly no, due to language barrier. If stayed longer, could have done more. I only stayed for a week.
1. Hi Tell us about you:
- Full name (first and last): Jacklyn Chu, Age: 23
- What do you do (study or work, where): Dentistry, Australia
- Where are you from (city and country): Brisbane Australia
1.1. Why did you choose to volunteer in Nepal Kathmandu, what program(s) are you doing and why?
- Why Nepal: Heard from friends that the people are very friendly………………
- What program: Dental Volunteering
2. What was the most surprising thing you experienced while in the program?
- Program: Helpful people.
- Host Family: Feel really good. Sarita is very cooperative; prepare my favourite food and hot water every day.
- Country: Bus is so crowded during the peak hours but easy to adopt because the bus drivers are helpful in guiding us.
3. What was the most difficult thing you experienced while in the program?
- Program: Program went smoothly but there were limited things that were available for me to do because of the limited time , despite being able to offer a lot.
- Host Family: Cold! But they provided me with extra blankets.
- Country: Air pollution – kept coughing due to construction.
4. Any tips for future volunteers….
- Clothing: Long sleeves and pants so you won’t be dirty.
- Sightseeing: Must see the UNESCO sites. Sudhir can tell you more on this.
- Donations: Gloves, masks, books.
- Laundry/internet: Cheap. Sometimes slow 3G.
5. Other things volunteers should know about:
- a.- City/town: Thamel is good. Bring face masks. Food is so good always try new things.
- b.- Weather: Hot in the day. Cold at night, pack adequately.
- c.- Local People: Kind but language barriers – download translator on phone.
- d.- Tours: Didn’t go on tours. Explore yourself enough with your best friend.
Volunteering in Nepal
6. Personal paragraph (volunteer program testimonial), detail as possible:
Staffs at dental hospital were so welcoming and kind. Bought us food and drinks, introduced us to many good food and phrases to interact with the patients. Did extractions, pulpectomy, fillings, etc. Great if I could have done more but sadly no, due to language barrier. If stayed longer, could have done more. I only stayed for a week.
7. How would you describe your:
- Accommodation: Sarita is very helpful. A lot of privacy at home/room, locker facility and good family to be with.
- Meals (favorite): Traditional Nepali meal. 3 veg + rice + roti + lentil
- Security: Safe house.
- Host family: Welcoming, considerate, thoughtful.
8. What was your memory of this trip?
- Program: Staffs were really nice.
- Host Family: Nice
- Country: Beautiful architectures (earthquake/constructions/traffic)
9. How was the local ABV Coordinator, the staff and the support provided in-country? Be as detailed as possible.
- Airport: Welcoming, Easy, Fast, Efficient.
- Orientation day: Helped us with SIM card, transport etc. Comprehensive
- Daily Support: Answered all our question. Very Helpful
10. How was the information you received from ABV prior to traveling?
11. Are you willing to speak to other potential ABV volunteers about your volunteer experience?