Volunteer Ghana: My overall experience about the program is very good. I was welcomed by the locals with open hands; my host family was super friendly, supportive and was a pleasure to spend time with. I didn’t happen to have any security or health issues or concerns. Pupils at school were very talented, eager to learn and easy to work with. People taking care of the children are very inspiring and it’s unbelievable what they do and devote their time to raise and educate young people. Absolutely incredible experience! I can’t wait to come back.
1. How was the Local ABV Coordinator/staff and the support provided in-country?
I received all the support needed and was fully taken care of by the host family. They helped me solve all my needs and answer all my questions.
2. What was the most surprising thing you experienced?
- Program: I was surprised about how emotionally intelligent all the kids are and able to make right decisions in various tricky situations.
- Country: Ghana is an amazing country with lots of astonishing sceneries. I was surprised mostly by how Sunday masses at church looks like, how music is played at funerals and that you can buy snacks riding a car just through your window.
3. What was the most challenging thing you experienced?
- Program: there were no challenges as I had the possibility to prepare for lessons, kids behaved well and everything is very easier when you’re open to what’s happening around you.
- Host family: living with the host family was very easy and pleasurable. They made their best to make my stay comfortable and easy to adjust. No challenges at all.
- Country: it was unpleasant to be asked money or gift and be perceived as a rich white person, this is common just say no and thats it.
4. Any tips for future volunteers… (clothing, travel, personal items, donations)
- Read carefully all the tips and guidelines which are provided by ABV, they’re extremely informative and useful.
- Books or other things for a plenty of free time; protein bars or any kind of filling snacks due to irregular meal consumption.
- Anything that you would be willing to donate for kids: clothes, shoes, books, usual explanation for English language etc.
5. Personal paragraph about the experience ( ABV program testimonial):
My overall experience about the program is very good. I was welcomed by the locals with open hands; my host family was super friendly, supportive and was a pleasure to spend time with. I didn’t happen to have any security or health issues or concerns. Pupils at school were very talented, eager to learn and easy to work with. People taking care of the children are very inspiring and it’s unbelievable what they do and devote their time to raise and educate young people. Absolutely incredible experience! I can’t wait to come back.
6. How would you describe your accommodation, meals, security, friendliness, quality others?
- Accommodation: I was surprised by how spacious my room was, it had a huge comfortable bed, a toilet, and shower and luckily no mosquitoes disturbed me.
- Meals: the food here is very delicious and none of it was a novelty for me. Same ingredients as at home only prepared differently with other spices etc. I usually was too full after an erratic portion of meal served.
- Security: as long as my host family was taking care of everything during the whole stay and was with me, I felt very safe.
7. What was your favorite memory of this trip?:
- Program: dancing completions are definitely one of my favorite, however having discussions with my talented kids at school during lessons was very fulfilling.
- Host family: preparing local dishes together with the host family. Banku and fufu are finger-licking tasty! However, any activity with my host family was super good, going to church on Sundays, visiting local market, enjoying sunset etc.
- Country: I really enjoyed the trips to different amazing places in Ghana. I was even lucky enough to have a crocodile named after me. What a month!
8. How was the ABV USA support prior traveling? ( who helped you, emails, phone calls, chat online, how fast did you got the answer, did you got all your answers)
Thank you Lori, Lynn and Sarah for all the information provided. The orientation guide and all the informative and useful materials which helped me prepare for this trip. I really liked the opportunity to chat online and get all the answers to the questions right away.
8.1 Who did you find Abroaderview website and what keywords did you use.
Initially I was looking for such volunteering opportunity with duration no longer than one month. That’s why I started with keywords “volunteering Africa for a month.”
9. Are you willing to speak to other potential ABV volunteers?
Absolutely, more than glad to