Volunteer Nepal: I loved my stay with the coordinator and his family. They are very caring and helpful and like a second family to me. My work environment was great and people were really friendly. I would definitely come back to Nepal with my family and spend more time here.
1. How was the local Coordinator and the staff and the support provided in-country?
They were very thorough in explaining every aspect of my stay from the working condition, to commute, to things to do during weekend. They made me feel like I’m home and not feel home sick.
2. What was the most surprising thing you experienced while in the program?
The most surprising thing was the fact that I actually found friends of a lifetime. My colleagues actually got me gift and cake when I was leaving which showed me how close we got and also made me really sad to leave them
3. What was most difficult thing you experienced while in the program?
Probably the most difficult thing would be the language barrier since at the dental hospital patients would communicate in Nepali language and I did not know any Nepali. But on the bright side, I would ask dentists and they would translate for me so I did not have any difficulty understanding the situation. I would recommend having Nepali language immersion class.
4. Any tips for future volunteers….(clothing, travel information, packing, sightseeing, donations)
As for the recommendations, I would recommend volunteers to bring clothing especially during hot months and anyways they would be able to buy light, cheap cloths here. So I wouldn’t recommend bringing many suitcases.
4.1 Other things volunteers should know:
- Try to read on sightseeing locations in advance and know how long it would take to get there.
- Always negotiate with the cab.
- Don’t walk late at night …..
5. Personal paragraph (volunteer program testimonial):
I loved my stay with the coordinator and his family. They are very caring and helpful and like a second family to me. My work environment was great and people were really friendly. I would definitely come back to Nepal with my family and spend more time here.
6. How would you describe your accommodation, meals, security?
Everything was perfect. The meals were delicious and as little spicy since I can’t handle spicy food. Also they made me feel very comfortable at home and if I needed to go somewhere they made sure I know my way.
7. What was your memory of this trip?
Great and kind people at work and at home and beautiful nature outside Kathmandu.
8. How was the information you received from ABV prior to traveling? (Emails, website, support) was there anything missing or should be included to prepare other volunteers?
I received plenty of emails regarding my trip explaining every step of the way and the information. I needed to know about accommodation and condition of living so the emails were very thorough.
9. Are you willing to speak to other potential ABV volunteers about your volunteer experience?